What to Know About Carbon Monoxide in Your Home

Cold temperatures have arrived in Doniphan, NE, and they’ll be here for a few months. You’ve likely reached for the thermostat and turned on the heat. If your home has a gas-powered furnace or any other gas-powered appliances, there’s a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Here’s what you need to know about carbon monoxide poisoning so that you can avoid a dangerous situation in your home.

What Makes Carbon Monoxide Dangerous?

You can’t smell, see or taste carbon monoxide gas. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning mimic other common wintertime illnesses. The early-stage symptoms include headache, fatigue and nausea. Mid-stage carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms include dizziness and body aches. You might think you’re coming down with the flu.

How Carbon Monoxide Poisons the Body

Carbon monoxide displaces oxygen molecules on your red blood cells. Your blood can’t deliver enough oxygen to your cells, so they begin to die. At a high level of exposure to carbon monoxide gas, death can occur within minutes.

Who Can Be Affected by Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Anyone can be poisoned by carbon monoxide gas. Babies, pregnant women, the elderly and people with chronic health problems experience worse symptoms in a shorter duration of time. They’re most at risk of complications and death from carbon monoxide poisoning.

What You Can Do to Stay Safe

Schedule a furnace tune-up once each year. Our skilled technicians inspect the heat exchanger and combustion chamber for safety issues. Install a carbon monoxide detector at least 10 feet away from the furnace. Place additional detectors within 10 feet of each bedroom. Test them monthly, and replace their backup batteries annually.

At Kayl Heating & Air, Inc., we’re here for emergency furnace repairs. Homeowners also turn to us for dependable heating and cooling maintenance, installation and replacement services in Doniphan, NE. Our thermostats and air quality solutions keep your home comfortable all year long. We also offer commercial heating and cooling services in the Grand Island area. For more information about carbon monoxide, call us at Kayl Heating & Air, Inc. today.